Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Right Coach


“All coaching is, is taking a player where he can't take himself.” -  Bill McCartney, football coach at the University of Colorado

I am a strong believer that the best mentors and advisors tell the truth no matter how hard it is to hear or how unpopular it may be. This blog was created in the hopes that I would be able to shed some light on the important milestones in everyone’s lives.

Before 2008, the real estate market was at the highest peak it has ever been and when the bubble burst, many lost their homes and their entire lives. At that point, no one wanted to listen to the signs that said the bubble was going to pop and things were going to crash. Even prior to that, however, I was advising my clients to go with the guarantees and I helped many steer clear of the financial crisis.

Throughout my 16 years of experience in the financial field, I have consistently been one of the highest producers in any organization I was with, whether it be Mutual of Omaha, Bankers Life and Casualty, or CFC Capital Partners. I have consistently qualified for the Million Dollar Round Table and am a former board member of NAIFA, the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors. In 2010, Pacific Integrity was founded and it has become one of the most respected agencies in Hawaii. Despite my success, I have come to the realization that I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for the coaches I had in my lifetime that shaped the beliefs and opinions that I hold.

One of the most influential mentors in my career has been my father, Allan Nakata. My father has been in the insurance industry for almost 40 years and has earned designations as a CLTC (Certified in Long-Term Care), CLU (Chartered Life Underwriter), RHU (Registered Health Underwriter), REBC (Registered Employee Benefits Consultant), and MSM (Masters in Science and Management). My father spent years advising businesses, both large and small regarding employee benefit programs and he has been asked to hold countless seminars on Elder Care and Elder Law in Hawaii.  Most recently, he was awarded the National Leadership Award from Washington DC.

Growing up, he always had high expectations and pushed me in sports to always be the best. I carried this into my career and always competed to be the best in any company I was with. He also instilled in me the importance of being able to pass down what I know to the future generation. I was fortunate to have someone who is highly regarded in the financial industry as my father, but not everyone is and it is my goal to be able to provide young individuals the same insights my father gave me.

After 16 years in the industry, I know that I still don’t know everything and I am continuously searching for new mentors to learn from so I can better service the people of Hawaii. Most recently, I have found a great mentor in David Scranton. As founder of Advisor’s Academy and Scranton Financial Group, and author of the popular financial book: "Stop the Financial Insanity, How to Keep Wall Street's Cancer from Spreading to Your Portfolio", David Scranton is one of America’s most respected and successful advisors. We have recently created a partnership in which we will bring a new type of planning to Hawaii. I am confident his straight forward approach will help our clients get to places they have never been before.

The mentors I have had throughout my lifetime have helped to shape the beliefs and opinions that I will share with you throughout this blog. I do not intend to offend anyone in this blog, but I will tell the truth, like it or not.

Stay tuned for more posts shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment